Friday, March 09, 2007

Changing Job after almost 8 years

I have been missing updating my blog and also reading others’ blogs.

Year end till early year is usually extremely busy with company sales alignment.

Then on that time, a headhunter called me about a job. I tried the interview and was successful. It was a hard decision especially been working in the current company (at that time) for almost 8 years (joined since 28 Dec 1999). The friends whom I met in this company for so many years. However it was time for me to move to a new challenge out of my comfort zone.

I wanted a break from CNY week till 28 Feb 2007. Then join the new company in 1 March 2007.

My company refused to let me utilize all my leaves which I kept since last year to clear after the alignment process. Instead, I was asked to stay one full month (until 5 March 2007) with company paying of my leaves (15 days including this year pro rated leave).

I was working during the CNY week (even cancelling my family trip with my parents and sister to Cameron Highlands). During the CNY week, on 22 Feb 2007, I decided to renegotiate with my manager. I managed to get the following days off:
23 Feb 2007 (afternoon)
26 Feb 2007
28 Feb 2007 (afternoon)
1 March 2007
2 March 2007
5 March 2007

A lot of people think I am crazy for not taking longer off before joining the new company. I did try but then my company didn’t allow me to take off even though I had leaves to utilize. My new company needed me to be in by 1 March 2007 (actually 15 Feb 2007 but I negotiated for after CNY).

I will update as much as I can because my new role is going to be tight due to the project we are handling now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, welcome back :) So how do you like your new job so far?

chanelwong said...

it is a total new industry. trying very hard to understand the whole process. something new and interesting

michelle@mybabybay said...

Wish you well on your new job!

chanelwong said...

thanks a lot..michelle

IMMomsDaughter said...

Hope you enjoy your new job. Very keng lah you, still got headhunter going after you :)