Thursday, December 08, 2005

Breastfeeding (Jeriel)

Wow, recalling the whole breastfeeding experience just remind me how time flies. Hope to write this journal as a reminder on how I can improve my breastfeeding journey for the next baby.

Jeriel was born on 19 March 2004, 12.26pm. I didn’t know what is inverted nipple until that evening when I had problem latching Jeriel. The nurses were trying their best to help me. I tried everything for the whole night including trying to suck the nipple out using syringe. At last , I was provided an electric pump and managed to pump a pathetic 2 small teaspoon of colostrums. I was devastated. Thank goodness that (there is a ruling in this hospital) in order to feed formula or plain water to my baby, parents need to sign a consent letter. If not, I would have given up much earlier.

The next day, another nurse who was supposed to be lactation expert came and help me before I was discharged. After much of trying several ways, at last she introduce me with nipple shield. Using nipple shield was such a hassle for direct breastfeeding and with Othniel’s support, I managed to do it for 1 month plus.

Then I became breastpumping mother for 1 year. Daily pumping schedule was at 6am, 7-8pm and 12 midnight. Jeriel was having breastmilk supplement with formula then his formula intake decreased once he started his solid at 6 months. There was nothing to be proud about because Jeriel had to take some formula when he was about 1.5months old not exclusively on breastmilk. How I wish that I knew my problem and got it corrected before Jeriel was born.

Breastpumping for 1 year was something that I did not know how I managed to go through. Many thanks to all the mummies (Sharon Boo, Wai Han, Liz, Venice, Chin Nee etc…too many) who supported me all the way and not forgetting my beloved hubby, Othniel. When Othniel was at home, he would wake up and feed Jeriel after 12midnight when Jeriel cried because he knew that I need to wake up at 5.30am to pump at 6am. Sometimes when Othniel was in outstation especially when Jeriel was learning to crawl, creep, climb etc.., in the evening, I had to rush back home to Kelana Jaya to pump then out again to fetch Jeriel in PJ Sec8 (near PJ State) and in the morning, I had to pump and feed Jeriel. Lack of sleep but worth it.

Jeriel drank his last breastmilk on his 1st birthday. I was so sad……..

My experience had left me with a better understanding about breastfeeding. Now, I am learning more about nipple correction to help me to prepare for my second one. I share this with Othniel that I want to breastfeed exclusively (more than 1.5 months) for the second one because breastmilk is good. So , I need to get the nipple corrected in order to be able to breastfeed + breastpump not 100% relying on breastpumping (which is more time consuming) Jeriel was very healthy and hardly fell sick when he was drinking breastmilk (even though not 100% on breastmilk).

For me, breastmilk is good . I am trying my very best to encourage mothers to breastfeed their babies by trying to help them as much as I can. Most of the mothers who give up breastfeeding due to lack of knowledge and support.

Breastfeed baby out of love will make breastfeeding journey a pleasant one.
Other related posts on Breastfeeding Experiences.

0 comments: